Friday, September 14, 2007

Thoughts on Seeking Apreciation

In the past I have often desired someone to appreciate the art that I produce. I have a passion for making art and want to be appreciated for the work that I produce.

Now here is the dilemma, I have thought it is the same that actors in our world experience, I have discovered when a person likes me for the art I produce, they really do not care for the person that I am, that is they may like me, but they may be blinded by the desire of my art and just accept my quirkiness because I am the producer of the art, but without the art, they would of never given me a second thought. On the other hand I have discovered there are people who like me and do not care for the art that I make.

Do you understand what I am trying to say?… it is kind of a complex situation. As a human we seek approval by the skills we do and by the skills we excel at, but upon getting approval it may leave us empty since our core self is not getting approval. On the other hand, when our core self is getting approval from someone, our actions are seeking to get approval by the things we do.

So what to do? One way is not better than the other, just acceptance and appreciations for both as good.


4 comments:

Chloe Streeter said...

My way of thinking is that whatever artwork we produce is in some way reflective of who we are, so if someone likes something I've done, they can appreciate a little of who I am. Granted, that's likely overly simplistic, but I think there is truth to it.

What I think you're really getting at with this post is figuring out who are your friends and who only like you for the work you produce. I believe the more you're around people, the easier it is to judge on which side they lie.

Um, anyway, I'm glad to see you posting again :)

Ginseng Kyong said...

Thanks for Chloe :)

.. did not realize anyone reads my posts hehe.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting a comment on my Flickr page... now I know about your blog and I'll keep reading and reading it. It tells such an involving story...

qpop said...

I know exacty of what you speak Gin.

I think it may come from the motivation of the other...

Art collectors and appreciators are (usually) not artists. The mind set is very different even when the two (artist and collector) are into the same art.

In Sl I face this dilemma every day as I am there to sell my photos and sculptures. I need to find those who are turned on by my art so i can get them infected... er excited by it enough to shell out their Lindens. tis is proving harder than it miht be in RL - the mediums useful in RL dont work quite the same in SL (which I'm finding is more like the web in how people find stuff than a shoping street or mall)

Now the people who i choose to hang with are a different group all together - many are artists or makers. And are often appreciative of my skills, but not interested in owning what i make.