Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Creation of Gollum like goblin

The idea for creating a goblin AV came from a friend, Phoenix. I had joined a group of builders and passionet role players who are currently working on a Lord of the Rings Sim. I had found out about this sim from John a good friend I had met online one time when wandering around in the sim Avalon Mist. He had invited me to play as one as an elf prince, his character is the king (I am also in the proccess of creating a elven prince). Well, Phoenix, the eldist elf, is the actual one in charge of the project, after showing him some of my builds, he asked if I would be interested in creating the goblin AV... what a fun project that has turned out to be.

This is an ongoing project, I plan to post improvements of this goblin character as I make them.


So far I have only distorted the default AV to be short, long armed, pointy ears, big eyes, and grumpy looking. Also, have created the upper half of his skin. I can tell I need to work some more on this portion of the skin, I think it is a bit pale as you can see in the photos or perhaps it needs more details, I kind of like how the veins on his arm turned out. The skin is an on going process... I will notice things that need improvement, like in the image above, his underarm needs some definition and shading, plus it lacks any kind of hair wich I think a goblin should have a lot of in this area.
The skin is created in photoshop using a shirt template that can be download at the second life website.
http://secondlife.com/community/templates.php
In the photo above, I took the image I used for the upper body of the goblin and increased the contrast of the image. I should try uploading the image as it is displayed here, but usually if shadows are too dark on the skin, it just will looked painted on or a bad tattoo. The lines displayed in the image are the guidelines that are used in creating the skin. With this skin I decided that the goblin probably is stong, but since he is small, probably does not eat that much, thus, his ribs show and his back bone. I think I will need to define more bones, like elbow, hipbone, etc.
Here he is with his eye one some tasty fish, a little to high for him to reach, but since he is so hungry he is resourceful.

He feels right at home in the dank caves in Avalon Mist's newer role play area. He has his sword out to cut slots out of some of the giant spider webs so he does not become someones meal, even though he would not provide a good one. By himself, he is not much of a fighter.



And finally he is hanging out at the Juke Joint blues bar having a smoke and listening to some blues tunes. Being a goblin, he feels at one with the blues music. Most of the ladies here are too tall for him and being green skined and grumpy, not too many ladies linger on him for very long.

No comments: